November 15, 2018
Preparation for Worship
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I trust that all of us are looking forward to being with family and friends to thank God for his rich provision in our lives. Many Christians struggle with discerning the will of God for their lives, but I’m quick to remind folks that at least one aspect of God’s will is unequivocally clear for every Christian, namely the command to be thankful. The Apostle Paul told the believers in Thessalonica to “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thess. 5:18). There it is…no more need to pull the hair out of our head trying to figure out God’s will for our lives! We are to be thankful in all circumstances.
We certainly have much to be thankful for when it comes to the gift of God’s Word, which is our only rule for faith and practice. This coming Lord’s Day we will be studying the first five verses of Nehemiah chapter 9. These verses reinforce the absolute centrality of God’s Word in our lives, and especially its centrality in the work of revival and reformation. If we desire to grow in our faith then we must be convinced of the central role that Scripture will have in that growth. Calvin put it most memorably, “Faith needs the Word as much as fruit needs the living root of a true.” See you Sunday.
- Growth Groups for Adults: We offer several men’s, women’s, and mixed groups for study, fellowship and prayer throughout the week. CLICK HERE for the NEW Summer Schedule or pick up a new listing from the Welcome Desk..
- Wednesday Night Youth Group meets this week. All Middle and High School students are invited to meet in the church parlor from 6:15-8 pm for a light supper, singing, and a Bible Study as we work through Ephesians.
- Adult Sunday School at Westminster: offered in the sanctuary studying the book of Judges led by David Hammond.
WIC invites you to kick off the Christmas season with an evening of caroling, refreshments and fresh wreath making on Thursday, November 29 at 7 pm here at WPC. Cost will be $10.00 (please note in subject line/WIC Christmas event). PLEASE RSVP on the Blue Sheet so we have enough supplies and seating available. (Childcare will not be provided).
- Poinsettias for the Sanctuary: Help us decorate the sanctuary with poinsettias this Christmas season. Flowers may be dedicated in memory or honor of a loved one; names will appear in the bulletin. You can purchase a medium plant for $8 or a large plant for $17 for display each Sunday of Advent and then take it home after the Christmas Eve Candlelight service. The deadline to order a poinsettia is December 1st! Stop by the Resource Center in the lobby to pick up a dedication form, then turn in the completed form and payment either to the church office or in the designated box in the lobby. Be sure to note ‘Poinsettia Drive’ on the memo line of your check. Questions? Contact Suzanne Wellborn at 256-585-9461.
- Save the Date! Our Youth Retreat – ROOTS is January 25-27, 2019 at Camp ToKnowHim!! This retreat provides Gospel-centered teaching, worship, and fellowship for the youth in our presbytery. Check the Weekly Youth email or see Eric Fulcher for more information.
Opportunity to Serve
- Host International Students for Thanksgiving Dinner: The InFocus international student ministry, run by reformed Christians in the community, has a number of students that would like to be part of a Thanksgiving dinner in a home. Most of the students are young men and all are wonderful people who are very interested in discussing Christianity. Some need a ride or a vegetarian dinner option. It works best to host two at a time. To participate please contact Mr. John Chisum at firstname.lastname@example.org by TOMORROW, Friday ,November 16. Bijan Nemati, Bob Frederick, and Seth Waldecker are among those who are familiar with the ministry and are happy to answer questions.
- College Student Care Packages:
- Help Wanted! WIC is collecting care package items for college students to enjoy during their exam preparations. A collection box is located in the church foyer. Please consider contributing prepackaged snack items, gum, post its, pens, etc. for our students. Thank you!
- College Care Package Packing in the Parlor: THIS Saturday November 17 from 9-11:00. Ladies, WIC would like to invite you to help pack & prepare the care packages for shipping. Please sign up via the blue sheet or email (email@example.com) if you’d like to volunteer.
Holiday Schedule 2018-19
Nov 21 No Wednesday Night Activities & Office Closed (Thanksgiving)
Nov 25 No Evening Services (Thanksgiving Weekend)
Dec 16 Music Special & Brunch (No Sunday School)
Dec 23, 30 No Sunday School or Evening Worship
Dec 24 Christmas Eve Candlelight Service (5-6 pm)
Jan 9 Wed Night Activities Resume
Office Closed Dec 24-28; Dec 31 & Jan 1
|SERVING||Sunday: Nov 18, 2018|
|NURSERY – Morning Worship||Felicia Rutledge, Renee Lowrance, Rebekah Frederick|
|Tom & Diana Perrin|
|NURSERY – Sunday School||Amanda Pettus|
|Sarah Catherine Stegman|
|NURSERY – Evening Worship||Eion Grady, Lucy Fulcher|
|HEAD USHER||Lee Talmadge|
|SEXTON COUNTER||Monday Mbila, Nate VanKirk|
|SOUND||Clif Barnes, Jacqueline Bryant|
|COFFEE FELLOWSHIP||Charlie Grady|
|COMMUNION SET UP||Eberle|