The Week of September 17-23, 2018
Preparation for Worship
This coming Lord’s Day morning I will be out of town officiating a wedding for a young man who was a member of my youth group some years ago. It is certainly a joy to see our covenant children growing up and marrying in the Lord! In my absence Pastor Hammond will be preaching from Revelation 21:1-5, which addresses the promise of a new heaven and a new earth. I know you will be built up and edified by the proclamation of the Word of God. Since someone else is preaching this week, I thought I would take advantage of an opportunity to exhort you to give diligent attention to God’s Word—that way it does not sound as if I’m pleading for you to listen to me.
This is football season, and I’m well aware that many of us will be tempted each week to stay up late to watch football (or something else) and consequently have a hard time focusing on the duty and delight of corporate worship the next morning. I’ve not seen this to be a problem at Westminster, but it never hurts to be reminded of the importance of proper preparation for the Lord’s Day. They didn’t have football in the days of the Puritans, but apparently they still had problems with people showing up half-engaged for the preaching of God’s Word! Thomas Watson, one of the ablest of the Puritan writers, once said, “Take heed of drowsiness in hearing; drowsiness shows much irreverence. How lively are many when they are about the world, but in the worship of God how drowsy. In the preaching of the Word, is not the bread of life broken to you; and will a man fall asleep at his food? Which is worse, to stay from a sermon, or sleep at a sermon?”
Please be in prayer for all aspects of our corporate worship, that we might enjoy the blessing and presence of our great and glorious Triune God.
This Week & Beyond
David Hammond Installation Reception: David Hammond will be installed as our new Assistant Pastor during the evening worship service on September 30th. A reception honoring David will follow. Please help us by bringing a dessert and volunteering to help clean up. CLICK HERE for the electronic signup. The church is providing a cake and drinks. Please note that David loves chocolate! If there are any questions, please contact Tracy Gunn at 256.325.3875 or Angie Fulcher at 256.837.4131
Men’s Retreat: Men – please join us for our annual Men’s Retreat, which is set for Friday and Saturday, November 2-3, 2018 at Vision Ministry Lodge in South Huntsville. The Retreat will officially begin at 4 pm on Friday (though you’re welcome to come early) and will wrap up at 11 am on Saturday. Join us for a great time of fellowship, conversation and leadership development. Tony Giles of Serge Ministries will be our guest speaker. The cost of the retreat is $20 for Friday Dinner and Saturday Breakfast or $65.00 for both lodging and meals (registration deadline is October 18). To sign-up online go to www.wpc-hsv.org and click on the Men’s Retreat page on the homepage under “EVENTS”.
Opportunity to Serve
- As part of Phase 2 of implementing procedures in compliance with safety guidelines recommended by our insurance company, the Safety and Preparedness Committee is looking for volunteers to assist in monitoring the first-floor entrance at WCA during the Sunday school hour. We welcome the help of any current WPC member over age 19. Rotation schedule will begin October 7. Please follow the children as they walk over to WCA just after morning worship and remain until youth/children’s Sunday school dismisses. You can indicate your willingness to help on the blue sheet this Sunday!
- Help Wanted! Are you interested in helping serve our church nursery and have a blast with the youngest of our covenant children? We have a need for ADULT (19 yrs. +) helpers in all of our classes for both Morning Worship and Sunday School. We need 10 adult helpers for Morning worship and 7 adult helpers during the Sunday School hour. All of our helpers must be a member of the church and complete a background check. Check out the Blue Sheet to see all the specific needs and to sign-up! If you would like more information on what it is like to volunteer in the nursery, please contact Jessica Perez at Jessica.email@example.com.
Student Choir: Rehearses on Wednesday nights in the Sanctuary Classroom. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Rebecca Johnson.
- Youth Ensemble (5th-12th grade) meets 5:45 – 6:15 pm
- Student Choir (2nd-5th grade) meets 6:15-6:45 pm
- Beginning Choir (4yo-1st grade) meets 6:45-7:15 pm
Kid Check: Please take a few minutes to register your minor children online at www.kidcheck.com so that we can move forward in our plans to simplify our check-in process and enhance our security system. Information about this is available in the lobby as well.
We would also like to remind you to usher your children to the lobby after worship so that your children can join the group walking over to the school building. Keep in mind that teachers will be walking kids back over to the church building at noon when Sunday school concludes. Please plan to meet your children there as soon as possible.
40 Days for Life is September 26 through November 4 to help focus prayer to end abortion. Pray at home, and if possible, come out each Saturday 9:20 am – 10:15 am and join a prayer group while the clinic is closed. Children are welcome (supervised). Clinic address: 4831 Sparkman Avenue, Huntsville. For more information contact Beth Nemati or Maria McKinney and stop by the table in the foyer. Other upcoming pro-life events are the Gosnell movie in theaters starting October 12, a teen Girls’ Night fundraiser for the Huntsville Pregnancy Resource Center on October 19, and a Walk for Life fundraiser for HPRC on November 3.
|SERVING||Sunday: Sept 23, 2018|
|NURSERY – Morning Worship||David & Nicole Perrin, Taylor Thompson|
|NURSERY – Sunday School||Susann Anderson|
|NURSERY – Evening Worship||Nat & Pam Causey|
|HEAD USHER||Kyle VanKirk|
|SEXTON COUNTER||John Gunn, John Kirkwood|
|SOUND||Clif Barnes, Eric Fulcher|
|COFFEE FELLOWSHIP||Monday Mbila|
|COMMUNION SET UP||——|